Saturday, May 26, 2018

ENGLISH FOR YOU - 5 - CONTRACTIONS


         Contractions
When speaking and writing we shorten two words into one.
This we know as ‘contraction’.

Example: can not – two words

We use an apostrophe to show where one or more letters have been left out.
can’t – contraction ( two letters = ‘no’ have removed from the initial word.)
Often used contractions.

I am - I’m               is not – isn’t       I have – I’ve                  

 I will – I’ll              We will – We’ll          There is – There’s    
 It is – It’s          you will - you’ll          they will - they’ll                                         
could not-couldn’t          do not  - don’t                                  

did not - didn’t             we are - we’re                                                   
are not - aren’t                     does not - doesn’t                                  
has not - hasn’t              had not - hadn’t                                                       
he is(/he has)  - he’s          he will - he’ll                                  

I would - I’d                     she will - she’ll                               

We have - We’ve             was not - wasn’t                               

will not - won’t               were not - weren’t                     

would not  - wouldn’t           should not - shouldn’t                    
have not – haven’t                


Try below given exercise with appropriate contractions.

1. I do not like to drink cool water.
2. I cannot speak to him now.
3. He is running towards the beach.
4. She is practicing her song for the concert.
5. They are not my friends.
6. I am already in the classroom.
7. I did not speak with him.
8. He does not like to join the trip.
9. There is not a small old house at the end of this road.
10. I have not much to speak with them.
11. There are no tall trees in our garden.
12. You should not be there before six o’clock.
13. It is not an interesting book.
14. The train is not moving now.
15. He has not come to the meeting.

(Answers at the next lesson.)


1 comment:

  1. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... spray foam insulation san mateo

    ReplyDelete